6.20.2007

A Knife too Sharp

My husband is obsessed with sharp knives. It doesn't matter if it is a pocket knife or a kitchen knife--it has to be sharp.

Saturday he spent a half hour (he insists it was only 10 minutes) sharpening a little knife. Seconds later he went to cut a grape in half with the same knife and ended up filleting his finger.

Last night he cut a tomato with the same knife, thought it was getting a little dull and sharpened it again. Since Saturday I am pretty sure the knife had only cut the grape and tomato.

But he sharpened it again.

I then grabbed it to cut up some lettuce for our tacos and ended up taking the tip off of my thumb.

Some may say we have no knife skills...but this is a paring knife for crying out loud. Paring knives are used in close proximity to hands all the time and I am pretty certain that they do not need to be razor sharp. I am fine with my larger knives being super sharp but Chod has been banned from sharpening the paring knives.

3 comments:

emalina49a said...

Sounds like my mom and her Pampered chef knife...you know the ones that come with their own little sharpeners

Alisha Wilkins said...

Sorry you guys are cutting yourselves, but that is hilarious that he sharpens the knives so often and so sharp! My mom had a paring knife once that I swear if you just "looked" at it it would cut you! Maybe that is why I absolutely hate to cut things?!

Chod said...

So in defense of the sharp knife... don't they say a dull knife is a lot more dangerous than a sharp one... I'm just saying...