3.19.2012

Here a Chick, There a Chick

Chod and I have talked about getting chickens for a while, and city ordinances allow 4 hens. Which we figured is a nice and small number that we could probably handle.

Last Sunday the IFA Chick Days flier came in the paper and Chod and the boys checked it out.

On Thursday I bribed with the boys with a trip to see the chicks if they were well behaved.

And they were.

So we went to "look" and ended up bringing home 5 little fluffy ladies (taking into account that we'd lose at least 1) and all the supplies we needed to go with them. We got 1 Barred Rock, 1 California, 1 Red Sex Link, 1 Golden Sex Link and 1 Astralorp because I knew if these girls were going to be wandering around our backyard I wanted some good looking hens and 1 of each means it will be easier to tell them apart.

The boys were excited for their first real life pets that weren't handed down from Aunt Tameka. So excited that Bentley has started making a list of the next real life pets he wants. Next on the list? A wiener dog.

We got them settled in their new home in the garage and then it hit Chod that he only has 6 weeks to build a chicken coop! Man, baby chicks are as bad as newborns. They sleep all day and peep all night. Our first night together was rough, I could hear them out in the garage peeping away and barely got any sleep.

And we kept them all alive for 4 days, but this morning found our littlest, I think the Barred Rock, dead.

When I told Lincoln she had died he asked, "But didn't I take care of her?"

Sorry little guy, sometimes animals die.

No comments: