12.15.2009

Whoville

I started December out in a Christmas funk. The Wilkins Christmas challenge this year is to keep a journal of the acts of service as you do them throughout the month--based on this conference talk by Pres. Monson.

Chod was out of town the first week of December, and it seemed I was providing opportunities for others to serve me at every turn. First the mouse, and then I forgot to get my parking validated but the nice girl let me out of the Terrace at no charge, a kind kid held the door for a me and the boys, Deidra returned my library books, friends brought cookies, and every time someone did something nice for me I felt like a failure. I was supposed to be helping them. I figured I couldn't count things I did as a wife, mom, or even my church calling--so that was leaving my journal blank.

To add to the frustration of the season, the toys remaining in the garage after the flood proved that our boys don't need more toys. They don't need more clothes. I didn't know what to buy. I was feeling a little grinch-ish and was wondering what the point of Christmas was exactly. We were going through the motions--temple square, shopping, advent calender-but the spirit of Christmas wasn't here.

We decided to visit the angel tree and do the 12 days of Christmas. What a difference they have made. My month has become exciting and I think the spirit of Christmas has filled our home. I'm enjoying the Facebook updates tracking various gifts of different 12 days and hearing about the good deeds of others, instead of resenting them. Bentley gets excited to ring and run. In fact after the first night he came home and requested more gifts to leave for all the neighbors.

Maybe my heart has grown, but I think this may be the funnest Christmas I've had in a long time. This is what Christmas is all about.

2 comments:

Karisa said...

Yeah, my Christmas journal is empty. Any suggestions at this point in the game?

goodliffe family said...

You're always doing stuff for everyone. I don't believe you when you say you did nothing. You're one of the most charitable, giving people that I know.