9.27.2012

Not Just a Mom

Last night Chod brought me home flowers. Sweet, yes, but not the point of this story. As I was arranging them in a vase, Bentley and Lincoln were questioning my every move.

"Why are you cutting them?" (So they'll be able to drink the water.)

"Why are you doing that?" (These are called guard petals and they're ugly so I'm peeling them off.)

Chod told them to calm down, that I was a plant scientist, and knew what I was doing. Bentley looked at me in shock and asked, "Wait, did you graduate?"

I told him that I had, indeed, graduated and then he turned to Chod to see if I was telling the truth.

Later, he curled up to me on the couch and told me that he never even knew that I was smart.

I'm not sure what graduating means to him, or even what he thinks that I have graduated from (high school? kindergarten? college?). But no matter. Whatever it is, it's enough for me to be more than just a mom in his eyes.

No comments: