Sunday we hurried home from church. Our plan was to quickly eat and then head to Ogden to see the new cousin. After the corn was husked I sent Chod out to light the grill and raced to get the rest of dinner ready. Then I looked outside to see the grill engulfed in flames. My first reaction was to grab the fire extinguisher (I'm still impressed at my lightning speed and that I knew just where it was). By the time I made it to the other side of the kitchen, through the door and to the patio the flames were calming down.
Chod was hurrying around and it took a minute before I asked if he had been burned. He answered yes and I ordered him to start running cold water on it and I watered down my flowers that were on fire.
After about an hour of me asking if he needed to go to the hospital and diagnosing his burns as most likely 2nd degree (I'm basically an expert: pain and blisters=2nd), he had had enough of the pain and off to Instacare we went. He said he now knows how people could amputate their own limbs, as he was ready to get rid of his hand that night.
Want to know what happened? He had lit the grill but it wasn't getting hot. So he shut it off and undid the hose. Apparently, some propane came out and met with something hot and boom-fire.
There was some nice hair singeing-hair, arms, eyebrows, and eyelashes. The nurse says it was probably a good thing he was wearing his glasses.
They sent him home with a mummified hand, some painkillers and silvadene and told him to watch it closely for 48 to make sure it wasn't 3rd degree. Oh and orders to stretch that thumb so he doesn't end up needing surgery.
I suspect that this "accident" could be a way to get out of packing and painting.
He had to sign the papers for the house with his left hand.
But 3 days later he is doing much better and only the thumb remains bandaged.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yikes! His hair doesn't look too good. Glad it's healing up.
I burnt my finger on some steam from left-overs for a late night treat last night. I could use me some of that silvadene!
Yikes! I'm so glad it wasn't worse!
Post a Comment