9.12.2011

Disastrous Birthday





Last week our Boodle turned 3.


It was a day set up for failure. He didn't believe it was his birthday and was pretty sure he was turning 14 if it really was. And we didn't get him a gift. Not because we (I) hadn't tried. Hours were spent on Amazon and a visit to the local toy store was even made. But as my mom always told me growing up, I'm picky and never came across the perfect gift. The one he and I would both love. One that wouldn't find itself at DI after just a couple of weeks. We debated on a bike. But really, Bentley was too big for his so it would be better to buy Bentley a new bike and give Lincoln the hand-me-down. But would that be a present for Bentley or Lincoln? And then we looked for Bentley a bike, but learned he is in an awkward in-between stage and the next size of bike is too big for him (and we could only find one in pink and purple anyway).

When we'd ask Lincoln what he wanted for his birthday he would answer cake, ice cream and even frosting and balloons. So I figured we could at least make those happen.

Finally, Monday afternoon while we were at the family reunion the perfect gift came to me. It would require work on our part and I spent the drive home researching the best way to construct it and get parts. We got home about 10 pm and after pricing things out decided it will make a better Christmas gift, so that birthday idea went down the drain.

Tuesday morning I woke up and dug through boxes to find my Silhouette and all the necessary supplies to make him the traditional "3" shirt. It was even finished before it was time to get dressed. Things were looking better. I even remembered to pull out our "Special Day" plate.

Things quickly went downhill when I found him on the stairs with white stuff smeared across his birthday shirt and down his leg. The white stuff ended up being primer that had spilled on the carpet downstairs. Sound familiar? As I yelled at him while scrubbing the floor he told me he was just trying to make a tower with the paint cans but it had fallen over and the lid popped loose.

Then, because I'm an awesome Mom, I had scheduled his dentist appt. on his birthday. What kind of mom makes their kid go to the dentist on their birthday and even better, to the dentist during nap time?

At least he got a balloon from the dentist, because I had forgotten to get him any.

And he did get a cake and even frosting. But after he had blown out the candles asked, "Now do I get to open presents?"

I'm demanding a do-over...just as soon as we secure a present.

2 comments:

Patty P said...

Some birthdays are just like that. Luckily he is only three and chances are won't remember it forever.

Deidra said...

Poor Linky. This makes me sad.

Does Mom mean to say she didn't plan our birthdays to be lame? I'm still holding #17 against her... I was definitely old enough to remember by then! :)