9.15.2010

Pest Control Please

Our garden is at the community garden. The community garden is a good place for people without a piece of earth of their own to garden. They have all the tools there for your using and they take care of the watering.
What isn't so great is that we have to drive to get there, it is an organic garden (don't even get Chod started on this), and they don't turn the water on until June 1st. So we get a late start, the weed situation is awful and this year we've also been dealing with blight, insects, birds and mice.

Basically, our garden is the saddest thing I've ever seen. Our green beans have been annihilated by hoppers, tomatoes are spotted with blight and what the blight hasn't gotten the birds do, the squash leaves dance with mice running underneath. The mice have also eaten beans, tomatoes, cantaloupe, and entire hills of our potatoes. We're crossing our fingers they stay away from the 1 pumpkin we have.

It has been a frustrating year, and when we found it frozen on Saturday, we threw our hands up in defeat and headed to Brigham City. At the beginning of the season we spent $10 on tomato plants. We ended up paying just $12 for a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes, which is about 12 times more tomatoes than we got all year. Our onions are great, we did get corn, zucchini production has been fair and we did get a watermelon, and pumpkins.

So this year we are asking--gardening, is it worth it?.

4 comments:

Our Crazy Family said...

I am not 100% convinced it was worth it this year. Although we got a ton of lettuce and zucchini. I am contemplating not doing it next year.

chartie said...

I would definitely complain to whoever is in charge. Boo to lame organic pestiness.

Deidra said...

You of all people know it's not strictly about the yield and cost. The prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what you did!

Erin said...

Nik, this is Erin, you know my gardening history, so please listen when I tell you... Absolutely!
As long as it is someone else that is doing the planting, weeding, and harvesting. Johnson's have great deals on all their produce - I can't think of anything better than a good old garden!